WATER SUM field visits to partner municipalities in Jordan
In the framework of the Water and Security component of the WATER SUM project, the REC provided grants to assist the local-level implementation of identified priority activities aimed at improving local water security and sustainable development planning in partner municipalities in Jordan.
Following the successful development of local water security action plans (LWSAPs) by local planning teams and their endorsement by relevant authorities, four pilot project proposals were approved for the available grants in Jordan:
- Rainwater Harvesting Tanks for Al-Karak Park (Karak)
- Water Harvesting for Al Magarrib Park (Salt)
- Rainwater Harvesting and Sustainable Water Management (Ajloun)
- Rainwater for the Green Garden in the Municipality of Jerash (Jerash)
On February 16 and 17, 2018, WATER SUM project team members Jovanka Ignjatovic and Danko Aleksic visited partner municipalities in Jordan to:
- oversee the finalisation of activities;
- analyse the problems encountered during implementation, as well as lessons learned; and
- discuss possibilities for a second phase of pilot projects in selected partner municipalities.
After the field visits, it was concluded that all four pilot projects had been completed successfully. Representatives of all the partner municipalities expressed their keen interest in continuing the fruitful cooperation and stressed the importance of the support provided through the WATER SUM project by the REC and the Government of Sweden.