Water, Growth and Stability: MENA conference
The WATER SUM team is pleased to announce that over 100 participants have registered to attend the conference “Water, Growth and Stability: Transboundary Water Cooperation for Sustainable Growth and Stability in MENA", which will take place on April 26-28, 2016, at the Regional Environmental Center (REC) in Szentendre (Hungary). Participants include representives and principle water stakeholders from many countries in the MENA region as well as from Europe. The conference marks the end of the second year of WATER SUM project implementation.
The conference objectives are to:
- support the MENA region and its water stakeholders in advancing water management at national and local level, while also shoring up regional cooperation and engagement as well as contributing to the identification of viable tools and solutions;
- stimulate the more sustainable use of water resources, stronger cooperation between pivotal actors, and a strategic approach to climate change adaptation;
- coordinate efforts among MENA countries and other regions to facilitate the mutual transfer of knowledge and good practices;
- take stock of the WATER SUM project and strengthen synergies with other programmes and efforts;
- promote a comprehensive and integrated approach to water security and ecosystem services and expound on the increasingly interrelated nature of our global resources systems and the impact on water sustainability; and
- lay the groundwork for assisting regional and global efforts in the water sector, including the Budapest Water Summit 2016 and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The event is organised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary and the REC, with the support of the Government of Sweden through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The conference organisation is line with the REC's guidelines for sustainable events.